The Panagia church is located in a central region of the Troodos mountain range, near the Marathasa valley. It is situated on a hill overlooking the town of Moutoullas. It was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1985, among nine other painted Byzantine churches of the Troodos mountain range. According to the inscription on the north wall of the Holy Bema, the church was constructed and painted with frescoes in 1280 by the generosity of Ioannis of Moutoullas and his wife, Irene. They are each shown carrying a replica of the church. Therefore, it is conceivable that the Church of Panagia tou Moutoulla was originally a private chapel.